Friday, January 10, 2020

Math Facts a MUST in 4th Grade!!

  Today I gave the students an "old School"  Math Time Test. The page contained 100 multiplication problems. Before we took it I explained to the students that we used to give these daily to build up their math fact skills. We have been told not to administer math time tests.  I removed the stress of "test" and "time". Kids were given about 10 minutes for the page. 
   As we move in to the more complex applications of math it is frustrating to see the students grasp the concept but get the problem wrong because of incorrect math facts.  I am allowing students to use multiplication tables. These are great tools but in less than a month when we take the Math MAP tests and later the CAASPP test, these tools will not be available. 
   I will continue to give these "untimed non test math fact pages" each week. I suggest the students take them home and finish them. They can also cover answers with a paper and practice them.  Feel free to print out practice sheets from:
Common Core Worksheets

No comments:

Post a Comment